Arkansas in November

From November 13th until the 16th, I decided to visit my friends, Joyce and George, in Bella Vista, Arkansas for three nights.  Since they have an apartment in a retirement community, I reserved a room at The Inn which is located within an mile of their place.  The Inn had a beautiful, relaxing atmosphere; 14 acres surrounded by trees and the Ozarks.  After checking in, I drove to my friends for an evening of BBQ Pork sandwiches and friendship.  Before retiring for the evening, it was decided the next day would be for Joyce and I with George staying home.  

The next morning, before having breakfast, I made a cup of coffee and ventured out for a walk about the woods and grounds. It was a crisp feeling morning so the coffee was welcomed. After taking a shower, I ventured down to the kitchen for a breakfast prepared by my host. The food tasted wonderful and conversation was lively. Around 10:00, I drove to the Sheldons. Joyce was ready so we drove to Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art where we walked the trails. There are more than 3.5 miles of trails winding through the museum’s 120-acre site so we had access to some beautiful landscape. After our walk, we went into the reception area of the museum where we signed up for the tour of the Frank Lloyd Wright’s structure known as Bachman-Wilson House. This house was originally built in 1956 along the Millstone River in New Jersey; it was purchased by an architect/designer team in 1988. However, the house was threatened by repeated flooding so the owners determined that, in order to preserve it, they should sell it to an institution willing to relocate it. Crystal Bridges was selected and it acquired the house in 2013. The entire structure was taken apart and each component was labeled, packed, and moved to the Museum where it was reconstructed in 2015. Next available tour was at 1:15 so we ate lunch in the museum cafe; very good food. And then we walked to the house where we went on a self guided tour which lasted about 15 minutes. Very, very interesting! Back to the museum where we went into the gift shop; I was looking for potential Christmas gifts for Savanna. Did not find anything so next stop was the Amazeum; this is a hands-on museum for children and families and Joyce thought I might find something in their gift shop. However, I did not so onward to downtown Bentonville where we explored the 21c Museum Hotel. This hotel is relatively new to the neighborhood and Joyce had heard so much about the contemporary art museum, which is part of the hotel, that she wanted to see for herself. And the art displayed certainly could be classified as “unusual”. The day was drawing to a close so we drove back to the Sheldons.

George had mentioned that he would like to find either a birthday or Christmas present for Joyce; since he is blind, it makes it difficult for him to get to where he wants to go. So I drove him to the local Lowe’s store where he made the purchase he wanted. When we returned to the retirement complex, we stopped at the office where the administrator took the package and promised to wrap it for him. For dinner we went to El Pueblito Mexican Restaurant in Bella Vista; very good food and wonderful conversation. Once we returned to their apartment, we talked about what to do the next day and then I headed to the B&B where I checked my email and read.

On Tuesday, I got up but did not take a walk since Joyce and I planned on walking later in the morning. Had a couple cups of coffee in my room and then ventured downstairs for breakfast which was prepared by my hostess. Her helper joined me for a breakfast of french toast stuffed with blueberries and fresh fruit; very delicious. Since I wanted to leave early the next morning, I settled up my bill. And then I drove to the Sheldons where it was decided Joyce & I would take our walk, come back to the apartment for George and lunch at the cafeteria, and then take a drive to War Eagle Mill. Joyce and I drove to Tanyard Creek Nature Trail which has beautiful landscape with the trail leading to a waterfall. It was perfect weather for walking which we really enjoyed. Then back to their apartment where we walked to the cafeteria for lunch. After lunch, we got into the car and drove to War Eagle Mill which is approximately 10 miles east of the city of Rogers; it took us over an hour to get there. It is a working gristmill and has been located on the site since 1832 but was destroyed three times with the last rebuilt occurring in 1973. It currently operates as an undershot gristmill, and houses a store and restaurant. We did walk the grounds and shopped the store where I purchased Hillbilly Bean Soup mix. We went back to Bella Vista where I dropped Joyce & George off at their place; I drove to WalMart where I filled the car up with gas and purchased a cheese pizza. Joyce “doctored” the pizza with all kinds of vegetables, baked it, and that was our evening meal; again, it was very good. We sat around and talked for awhile but it was finally time to say good night. The next morning I was leaving so I said my “good byes” because I did not want the Sheldons to have to get up as early as I was hoping to leave.

Back at the B&B, I organized my suitcase and prepared for an early departure. Got up in the morning, went downstairs for coffee, took a shower, did my final packing, loaded the car, and went into the kitchen for a cup of coffee to go along with having my water container filled with ice. Grabbed a banana and said good bye to my host. I was on the road shortly after 7:00; made three stops on the way home, including lunch at the Amish travel center by Lamoni, IA. Not the best food but it was a good break. Arrived home around 3:30 still glowing from my visit with my friends and the wonderful hospitality put out by the owners of the B&B; I am hoping to return this coming spring when the flowers are starting to bloom and everything is turning to green.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *